Sunday, November 15, 2009

Movie night


I got on-call for work on Saturday which meant I stayed home and kept the phone handy just in case a patient came in laboring.

It's fun to stay home unexpectedly.

Rob and I were able to straighten the messy house and make dinner, then I bought microwave popcorn at Mim's Market (we can't keep it in the house or Rob devours it!) and we had a movie night.

We all agreed on Muppet's Christmas Carol which the girls and I really love. It seemed a bit early for Christmas, but with the fire going and the lights on; we pulled it off. We had a splendid time. Lily loves Rizzo the rat and Georgia enjoys the music. We have to fast forward through the intense scary ghost parts.

Just as it finished, the phone rang. Rob said loudly, "Oh No! it's work! Oh no!" as he eyed the caller ID. I yelled, "Well, answer it!" and he picked up the phone like it was on fire and handed it to me. My co-worker said, "It's the dreaded phone call. We need you. Somebody's coming in, third baby, probably go quick." I answered as robot-like as I could, "I'll be right in." The expectation is that I will be at the hospital20 minutes from the phone call and I live 20 minutes away. I was bra-less and had severe hat-head. I usually don't get called in!

The children started wailing, "No mama! Don't go! You can't go Mama!" Georgia would have been fine, but if Lily loses it, she can't hold it together. They tried to out-emote each other, crying, holding onto me while Rob said things like, "Give me a break? What does work need you for?" He was mad because once the kids were in bed, we were going to watch a Mad Men and hang out.
Such a Bummer!
I put on presentable clothes, combed my hair with a wet brush and put the girls to bed in record time. Rob pulled it together enough to remind the girls how lucky we were to finish our fun movie and remind me I'd get paid time and a half for the three hours I would be there.
I sped there in the fog; ultimately getting there a long long hour before my patient finally arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment