Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dragonfly



Lily found a red dragonfly on the sliding door screen this morning; dead and stiff.

Later, while I was in the shower, I heard her yell,"It's moving!"

When I came out it was trying to right itself, its tiny jointed legs slowly sliding on the table.

She made it a little nest of blue felt and gave it a fake hibiscus to make it feel more like home. We headed out to school.

When I got home the first thing I did was check out the corral and it was empty! I hadn't thought the dragonfly would rouse enough to escape. I looked around the dining room and found it on the window. It stayed there until Lily got home from school. She took it outside to let it go. It was warm out tonight so we thought it would be nice for it to have one more night outside. It flew away and then landed on the house.

Once, years ago, I brought a stiff bumble bee inside to draw its fuzzy form. I found it outside on a cold fall morning, sitting on a flower like it had died in the middle of eating. As the day wore on I heard a buzzing sound. When I investigated; I found it walking, determined, across the kitchen table.
So odd that things can seem so dead and then buzz to life with a little warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment