Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Salem, Mass

After a morning watching the races in Glouchester, Rob wanted to stay and watch his friend's race but I was ready to go.
I took the girls to nearby Salem, because I wanted to buy a fancy witch hat.
I don't think I've ever been there, maybe once, many years ago.
It was quite a scene.

I was telling the girls how it was a special place where alot of witches lived and just then two girls, a little older than them, crossed the street wearing witch hats!
The girls were delighted! They really had a great time. How could they not? It was crowded, there were lots of people in costumes, a face-painting lady gave them each a lollipop as we walked by, and the stores were filled with tiny cheap trinkets that they love.
I was a bit disappointed. I wanted a classy witchy shop like the one Sandra Bullock opens in Practical Magic or maybe a chocolate shop like the one in Chocolat with Juliet Binoche. Or even just a touch of Martha Stewart somewhere.
Don't get me wrong, it was fun and maybe there were more multidimesional places off the main drag, but it was mostly cheap-import-shop crap for sale and then alot of people dressed up and doing readings behind a curtain.

I think we'll go back next year and I'll try to do some research in the meantime.







This food shop had some fun stuff. Nice witch hats hanging from the ceiling.

We each got a hat. Mine is just the one I wanted.
I got back on the highway and went the wrong way.
By the time we got home we were exhausted.
Georgia and I went to sleep in my sister's old room at 9pm. Snore.......


2 comments:

  1. Post your hat too, please. I have been to that shop. It was Halloween weekend 2006. We purchased a a funky gladd candle holder that hangs from the ceiling. Sadly it has since fallen victim to an accidental smashing. Salem was very cool, and I also feel the need to re-explore at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Halloween weekend must have been crazy!
    You're right. I do need a picture of me in my hat!

    ReplyDelete