Friday, May 14, 2010

Chick-Love

Georgia was obsessed all day. She sat on a cushion by the chick's cardboard box and held the chicks one at a time. She said she was, "at the doctor's office with my sweet baby chick, waiting for the doctor."
The doctor never seemed to come but she sat there with her hands gently keeping the chick on her lap.
After a while we figured out she needed a towel on her lap for this exercise.
As the day went on she fell mostly in love with Tessa Joy or Joy Tessa, who is a little smaller than the others. I took Georgia to meet a friend for lunch and, after ordering and drawing pictures of the chicks for a bit, Georgia started to pine for the chicks, "I want to go home. I want to see the chicks. I want to go HOME! What if the chicks got lost? What if they are not chicks? What if they are chickens?! I want to go home!" We made it through lunch but we had to cut the date a bit short and go sit vigil by the chicks for the afternoon.
I got a little worried that little Tessa Joy might suffer from not eating, drinking and sleeping as much as her sisters so I had to force Georgia to take a break and come outside, giving the chick some time to breathe.



Here is Lily with Sparkle after she got home from school. She had woke me up in the morning, urgently saying. "Mama. Mama!"
I had worked and got home at 1am so I was hoping to sleep past 6:30. Nope.
"MAMA. You have to get up. There are only 5 chicks! Chipmunk is gone!"
Ugggh. Already? The heavy reality of chick-mortality. Already?
I stumbled downstairs and sat by the box. No Chipmunk. Rob declared, "I've been down here for a while and I haven't seen anything. She must have gotten out a long time ago!" He is extra distraught because Chipmunk is his chick with the nice brown markings.

I am starting to come up with a plan to sweep through the whole downstairs. Hoping to not find the chick cold and fading in a dusty corner, when Lily picks up the toilet paper roll she had put in their box and holds it perpendicular to the floor and out plops miss chipmunk, splayed and stunned out of her sleep, but fine.
We rejoice! I try to sneak back up to bed, but am unsuccessful.

1 comment: