Friday, July 10, 2009

Tall Ships

Taking the train to Boston



We went to see the tall ships today in Boston. I was tired before we even began, but I remember going as a kid and looking up at the tall sails and rigging and being very impressed.





First we drove to 2 hours to Andover where my parents live and where my brother was visiting. We used the bathroom and grabbed a quick snack and then we took the commuter rail into North Station.

It was the girl's first time on a train. They ate grapes and rice cakes while my mother read them fairy tales from a book she brought with cool creepy drawings. My brother and father tried to nap.


We got to North Station and walked up to Charlestown Pier. Finally a gorgeous sunny day. It wasn't too crowded and there were plenty of porta-potties.


There were slow moving lines to board the big ships which was hard for Georgia who was starving even though she ate more snacks than a teenage boy. I was drained from working the night before and the long drive, but tried to take in the beauty of the ships and they were really beautiful. I had imagined them being in full sail, like the floating ship in Peter Pan, drifting in the moonlight or the glorious ships in Pirates of the Caribbean. But the ships were docked and their sails pulled in, of course. All the masses of people made it hard to focus on the shiny brass and gleaming golden wood, but I tried.
I tried to pack up all the visual images and save them for later when I could mull them over.



On Board the Coast Guard Eagle




This is Bluenose, a ship from Nova Scotia. A small clear jelly fish sighting was the highlight for both the girls. As my brother said, "Critters are always the best thing."







No comments:

Post a Comment