Monday, July 6, 2009

Summer Day

Rob had the day off today so we went up to Brat. While he and the girls played on the playground I tried to meditate in the car for 20 minutes. Our new Pontiac Vibe is very cozy and clean because Rob, after experiencing the ruin of the interior of our 4 year old Honda CRV, has implemented some family rules like no eating and clean out the car each day! The rules are tedious, but the car doesn't smell like sour milk and actually feels somewhat serene. I was gazing at this view from the window, listening to the birds and the family playing in the distant playground.

Just as I was starting to relax and actually meditate Georgia must have sensed a disturbance in the force from across the parking lot. She came running for the car; "I need Mama!" I was supposed to be getting a work phone call that never came, which is why I was enjoying some delicious alone time in the car to begin with..

She and Lily found me out and they all came thundering into the car and we went to grocery shop.

It has been more difficult to steal those 10 or 20 minutes for meditation these days. Georgia will watch Dora or Diego for a few minutes and then come find me upstairs.
I remember an acquaintance, who had children long before I did, saying that whenever she started to have her own thoughts, the children would sense it and yell, "Mama Mama!" before she could descend into herself.

Oh well. I'll keep trying, while also appreciating the preciousness of those interrupting me, which can be a tricky balance. I got my Martha Beck thought of the day and it hit home.

top quotes
So long as we keep our eyes on what is best about the world, as well as what is worst, we'll spend our lives enjoying the present, and awkwardly, clumsily, steadily creating a happy future.—Martha Beck bottom quotes

from http://www.marthabeck.com/



We stopped at a beautiful swimming hole on the way home. The water was freezing and Rob was the only one to jump in, but it was a summery dappled place to enjoy the river before running off to violin.

No comments:

Post a Comment