Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lily's week at summer camp

ended with a closing circle at Woolman Hill's meetinghouse.
The parents were invited and we got to go sing songs with the campers.
So fun.

It was Lily's first time and it was wonderful.

I had to force her to go and she sobbed when I left the first day. It was so traumatic.
I wondered if I was making her do something because
I wish I had done such things as a young girl
or because it was really good for her.

I felt terrible.

When I walked in the door that first morning after dropping her off, at home Sarah Pirtle, the camp director and a magical singer and storyteller, was on the phone leaving a message saying Lily was doing great.

Lily loved it.
Loved it.
She spent alot of time with older teenage girls who gave her piggybacks and taught her how to finger weave.
It was relaxed and open; powerful and sweet.

I feel so happy she went and wants to go back again.

Lily attended Girl's Week
http://www.sarahpirtle.com/CampSession3.htm

I was hoping it would give her some confidence about making new friends and be in a girl supportive environment. Her last month of school was very difficult with fighting bullies and trips to the principal's and big changes to some of her primary friendships. I wanted summer to be a break, but also give her some idea that there a plenty of other groups of people out in the world and that school isn't her only social group.

I think it worked.
She felt liked and made cool older girl friends who were startlingly sweet with her.
She hums the songs and tells funny jokes she learned.

Some of the quotes on Sarah's website articulated what I would love my girls to know

“It is a great consolation to know that there is a wellspring of love within yourself.
If you trust that this wellspring is there, you will then be able to invite it to
awaken.” -- John O’Donohue, Anam Cara, p. 28

and

"You are never alone or helpless. The force that guides the stars
guides you too." - Shrii Shrii Anandamurtii

No comments:

Post a Comment