Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Oh Hogwarts!
























As I have mentioned here before, I had hoped that NMH's Northfield campus would be taken over by Hogwarts, the magic wizard school from Harry Potter books. The turrets, the woodwork, the windows are perfect. It is such a gorgeous and magical place; I was really holding out for Dumbledore.

But, alas; I was not consulted. The local paper broke the story that someone had bought the school and an announcement was going to be made the next day!


The town was pretty nervous. The identity of the new owner had been kept a secret so there were rumors and anxieties flying around. I went for a goodbye drive around the campus and planned to take a photo of my favorite lamppost. Because of trees overrunning a walkway, the black wrought iron classic lamppost is surrounded by woods. It reminds me of the lamppost in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, mysteriously found in the middle of the woods by the children in the book. When I pulled up, I was disappointed, because the bulb must have been out or the wires were finally broken by the tree roots, so tonight there was no light gleaming from the dusky woods.

Instead I stood there and paused. I heard something. An owl! A Great Horned Owl was hooting from the ravine.
I stood there listening to its call until Georgia got spooked and wanted to go home.
I decided it had to be a good omen or maybe a farewell of some kind.

The next day I shocked when I read about a CS Lewis school on campus because he wrote The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
They are planning on opening a Christian college in 2012. There are plans for them to pull the place back from ruin and stop the auditorium and Chapel from falling apart.

Maybe that lamppost will get a new bulb!

























No comments:

Post a Comment