Thursday, August 20, 2009

Waning summer



Here is our summer list we made just after school got out.
We've done everything except go to the Eric Carl museum and "minicher" golf. Maybe we'll do those next week. Georgia starts her school (she'll go 1 full day and 2 half days at the nearby pre-school) in three days on Monday. She's excited to see her friends but we're all appalled that this must mean summer is over! Lily goes back a week and a half later.
I'm so glad we've had some really hot sticky days so that my body actually knows that summer has come before it's gone. Last night the crickets were chirping and the stars were bright when I went out to pick a peach for an nighttime snack. I felt my way up the branch in the dark, testing peaches until I found a ripe one. I cut it up and put it in plain Greek yogurt with pine nuts and a touch of maple syrup. Yum!

Anyway. Rob had the day off Wednesday and we went to Perry pond which is a nearby frog-catching pond that's a little too slimy to swim in. Georgia loves it there. she really is besot by slimy living things. She's the one who put it on our summer list. This was our second time there this summer and things were muckier.





Here is Georgia's hairdo done exclusively by Lily! I think it's time for her to take over the girl's grooming!














Rob and the girls caught 2 fish (pumpkin seeds) 6 newts and I caught a little frog (leopard, I think)







Georgia paced around with glee.
Rob was a focused hunter. Pouncing with the net.
We both tried for the sneaky bullfrogs with their gold rimmed eyes, but they jumped and croaked loudly just before the net landed.


Here's a fish jumping right into the bucket!
And below a wriggly frog with collected lily pads and pine cones.






















Some lovely pond lilies blooming. I wanted to get closer, but decided not to plunge in. The pond is rumored to be teeming with snapping turtles.

2 comments:

  1. Case starts school on Monday too. Zinnia will be with me. Would you and Lily like to join us at the new coffee spot around 10:30/11? I think they'll be open and I have a credit there because I donated so many books. Snacks are on me!
    I am not too sad about the waning summer. Fall is is my favorite time of year and I am hungry for a schedule. We have turned into sloths here. Can't get out of the house till 11! Glorious for sure, but too much of a good thing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I'm bringing Lily to work with me in Brat from 8-10 (which should be interesting) but we would love to meet up with you after. The book store was closed last week, but maybe they're back. If they were closed we could just come here. Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete