Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Retreat Farm



We went to The Retreat Farm today for the first time. What a lovely place! There was a laid back welcoming atmosphere and plenty of animals to pet. Even the enormous oxen were friendly
http://www.theretreatfarm.com/petting-farm.html
Georgia was beside herself with excitement about the chickens. She chased them with supreme focus until she caught them.

I loved the donkeys. Lately I have been wanting some donkeys of my own. There is a pair on my vision board. I'm not sure what I'd do with them, but they seem so sweet and hardy. I read recently that if you have sheep; donkeys keep the wolves at bay. Maybe I need some sheep so then I need donkeys........

The empty corn silo looked like a space ship. Inside was a big pile of corn for the children to play with. Lily made a corn angel and she and her friend Brian pretended to swim in it.

Here's Julie and Sam with the
gorgeous ox who was very sweet.

The piglets slept through getting their back's scratched.

It was a lovely place and Georgia has asked to go back to the "treat fawm" throughout the day and she wanted us to promise we would go back first thing when she wakes up (but alas we could not.)

Lily should have had a bath to get the corn out of her hair, but I forgot until just now. Oh well.....



3 comments:

  1. So much fun. That photo of Georgia holding the chick says it ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were just there last week. The scale is just right. I'm in love with Sweet Pea, the miniature horse (even tho the sign says she bites!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Georgia has a poultry obsession! Or maybe it's a "catching and then holding things that run away from her" obsession.
    It is the perfect scale. We were thinking maybe a season pass next year.......
    Maybe we could all meet up and play in the corn.
    (I was too scared of sweet pea after reading the sign. Did you pet her?)

    ReplyDelete