Monday, June 8, 2009

Stop fighting the life I've got!

I
So, I have been feeling overwhelmed and that life is passing too quickly. I never feel like I get enough done and there is always something urgent on my to-do list. Just this weekend I had an epiphany! My life is perfect; my perception of it being imperfect is the problem.

Part of the spark for this change was re-reading a great article by Pam Houston in Oprah Magazine; Cupped Hands:

http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200902_omag_true_love

I love the line:

The possibility of untethering happiness and sadness from circumstance felt frightening and wonderful, like a new brand of freedom.

Why do I allow silly things to decrease my happiness? Why would my house be clean? Or my list be done? Or my bank account flush? Why do I think that something that isn't true should be true? It's my own Byron Katie moment. Instead of waiting until things pull together to celebrate, I am going to celebrate now.
I have been chuckling at my ideas of how things should be. Why on earth would a working mother of two crazy kids have ample time to herself? Who am I kidding? Look at these marvelous children! Of course the house is messy. Anyway, I'm trying to stop fighting the life I have. Crazy, messy, broke and rushed, but at least we're having fun, are healthy and still have jobs. Right?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this, Kat! I have very similar feelings even without working outside the home. Every once in a while I have to stop, take a breath and realize that this isn't too bad at all. In fact, it's pretty great!

    ReplyDelete