Monday, June 15, 2009

My Belle Isis



Here are some photos of my Belle Isis. It's an incredibly fragrant rose I bought from Pickering Nurseries at

http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/web_store_wpic.cgi

three years ago. I wanted it to climb up the side of the house, but it did nothing. Really, it looked like a brown stick with thorns for two summers. At least twice I was going to rip it out, but I would go to look for gloves and never find them and then finally get distracted and do something else; forgetting to murder my dying rose. I went out last week to check on the nearby peas and what do I see? Maybe 50 buds on this sprawling rose with bright green leaves. I was thrilled! I bought the Belle Isis because the catalog described them as strongly fragrant and I finally got a chance to smell them today. They are opening up all over the chives and peas. I gave away two jelly jar vases full today and have them spread all over the house. It smells wonderful.
I just placed one flower in a tiny vase at each of the girl's bedsides. Sweet dreams.


Part of why I am so excited is because of something my friend said. She inspired me to create a vision board last year and she keeps coming to work with success stories, "I got the part in the play!" or "It was so weird I bought this bag and then I went home and it was on my board! I had totally forgotten about it!"
She points out the little things that are happening from my vision board (a great yoga class, pilates, maybe chickens in the yard next year) and tries to soothe my frustrations with the bigger things taking more time.

Here's a photo of my vision board and a link to Martha Beck's blog with information about making a vision board.

http://marthabeck.com/blog/?p=80



Anyway, two days ago when I saw my friend she said, "I think mine is working because I just put it up there and forget about it. I really just let it go!"

So I was thinking maybe I could try that just as I went out and found my forgotten rose. Talk about "Let it go!" My now gorgeous rose had been completely written-off; now it is filling my whole yard with its scent. (It's been around since 1854 when they used to breed roses more for fragrance than long blooming season) So I am going to try to relax and stop fixating on the things I want (Money to do more than just pay bills, more time with my family, a fulfilling creative life, another child, more flowers and neighbors without constantly barking dogs. Ahhhh) OK time to let all that go to thrive in the neglected side yard of wherever these things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment