Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Flora






















Oh the plants and the trees of Culebra.  I wanted Google or a written guide to help me identify them.  Above is a Tamarind I think.  I met them first in India.  Here's what Wikipedia says
Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) (from Arabic: تمر هندی‎, romanized tamar hind, "Indian date") is a tree in the family Fabaceae indigenous to tropical Africa. The genus Tamarindus is a monotypic taxon, having only a single species. The tamarind tree produces edible, pod-like fruit which are used extensively in cuisines around the world.

It is from tropial Africa but was spread around the world by sailors.


















I still don't know what tree grows this large brown pod.  I took my collection of plants to the fish and wildlife office because the guide book said they were friendly, but it was locked and looked more like a garage.  I found this article since I came home so if I go again I'll know who to call and make a date to learn about the plants and animals.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0712/p18s02-hfes.html
























Above and below are mango trees in bloom and with some small unripe fruit.  The trees must smell wonderful when the mangos are ripe.
















Love these lush heart shaped leaves.  This tree grew everywhere and I'm still not sure what it is....








A beautifully scented nicotiana blooming in the evening.







Another perfect hibiscus








Blooming in an abandoned lot.









A palm with crazy red fruit!





Oh, it's wood sorrel!  In the sidewalk where I was walking to the ATM.  I couldn't believe it was growing here!  This is a magical sweet plant that grows everywhere at home and that has a bright powerful flower.

It felt good to find her here, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment