Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ziplining Bretton Woods NH 3/6/10



Here I am with 3 wonderful women-friends near Mt Washington in New Hampshire.
(I'm the one in the Balaclava that drew much snickering but kept me warm. Much of the snickering came from my inability pronounce the word combined with the fact that apparently it made me look like both a nun and a ninja, depending on the situation.)

I was really frightened when my friend initially invited me for a ziplining adventure last fall, so I did alot of mental prep, but then our October trip got canceled because of 60 mph winds. This weekend was our second attempt and the weeks leading up to it were way too busy for me to do any mental preparation. Instead I just showed up and tried to have faith that I would survive. That, even if I had a panic attack or started sobbing up in some tree, somehow it would all work out.


But, miraculously I had a wonderful time. It was a really transformative experience.
The guides were really amazing and supportive while still being goofy joking young men. My friends are marvelous strong women. As the day went on and we did each of the ten (ten!!) ziplines and two suspension bridges I felt so elated and brave! The rappelling down 60 feet really terrified me. I had been dreading the act of holding a rope, turning my back to open air and then jumping off with 60 feet below me! Uggh! It makes me nervous to think about it now, but I did it! It required deep eye contact with the guide who looked right back at me and said, "You can do it." And he was right!




I felt slightly detached and mildly amused, because as I performed each feat with supportive and competent guides on a sublimely gorgeous day surrounded by delightful people I could trust; I had a realization. I had shut countless doors based on erroneous ideas of what I was capable of, like:
"I'm afraid of heights.
I get cold outside in winter; it's better to stay in by the fire
I don't have enough upper body strength to do adventurous things like that.
I might hurt my back.
Or break my bones.
I don't like to ski because I don't want to fall.
Outdoor sports are too risky
If I might freak out or fail why even bother?"
The list goes on and on.

Flying over the trees blew all the doors off!
Who knows what I can do?
If I can do this; I can do anything, really.
This video looks like it didn't download, but it did and it is awesome. Patrick, our guide, took my camera and got a video of one of the zips. it really gives you the feeling of height, speed and wind that still almost takes my breath away.










I did not like the suspension bridges! Way too wobbly and icy!
















Here's me 60 feet above the ground about to rappel down! Yikes! I'm so glad I took photos because I don't know if I'd believe I did it!
My first thought upon waking the next morning was, "I DID IT!!"

2 comments:

  1. I can't pronounce that word either. The hubby makes fun of me for pronouncing it "Baklava" which only makes us hungry :-)

    ReplyDelete