Saturday, May 9, 2009

NYC day 2


What a long day! Somehow we didn't get rained on. Last night a huge rumble of thunder rolled down the street at 4am and I was awake for a while after that. It was nice to be the only one awake in the quiet cozy apartment.


Union Square farmer's market was lovely with generous bunches of flowers.























Then the subway to chinatown



We took the 6 train but 456 is the number that has been after me the last few days so I had to take a photo. We'll see what it means when I get home.



The great Columbus Playground in Chinatown amused us for hours.
We ate a pound of cherries and shared our first rambutan.

then we did some shopping and took our first family cab ride.





















Dim Sum A Go Go was our stop for lunch. Lily and Georgia mostly poured sugar into their tea, then stirred it loudly, spilling it as they slurped, then poured shakily from the hot teapot again. Rob and I tried to eat slippery dumplings with our chopsticks while the strangers sharing our table ate chicken feet.
















We were starting to lose it but we went to the Mahayana Buddhist temple and took a little break .
























Then we did lose it as, waiting 45 minutes for the L train back to Brooklyn to move from the station, during that time, Lily had an urgent need for the bathroom (maybe the 4 cups of sugar with tea) and we had all run back up the stairs and go into the most disgusting bathroom I have seen, ok maybe not the worst; I won't go into details. I was trying to clean up and speak in a chipper voice to Lily while not gagging. But a woman came in and didn't stop saying, "Oh my God! Oh my God!" Next time I go to any city I will bring Purell. I'm not usually that way but later when Lily was licking her fingers and I thought of her soapless hand wash, I got the willies.



Instead of glorious fried chicken at Egg tonight we barely survived pizza at Vinnie's, then to a walk around the local park where Lily rolled in dog shit and said she was having the worst day of her life. (no fun photos from that part of the day!)



Anyway. Time for bed.



The final text from the dog/rat babysitter said things are fine, but that Azalea shat in the garage. As I finish this post I think maybe the title should be "shit" because it is the recurring theme.


But, shit and all, it was fun and memorable and Lily changed her mind about it being the worst day ever.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh Katherine, I laughed out loud with this one! :-) Loved the photos; especially the Buddhist temple. Wow. Totally awesome that you and Rob were able to go on this adventure with the girls. It's tough to navigate these things with young kids! Props to you two...

    There was no shat or pee pee from Azalea when I visited. She was lovely. So different from when you're home; maybe it was because she was vulnerable? I don't know, but it was neat to see that side of her.

    Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god! it is just like listening to you tell the story. i laughed so hard. thank you for having a blog. love miranda

    ReplyDelete