Friday, January 22, 2010

Three Questions

I finally sat down with Rob and we went over George Kinder's three questions. Kindle is a financial planner who asks these questions of his clients and then tries to build a life and goals based on their answers.


Here they are from Get Rich slowly website :

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/02/15/george-kinder-three-questions-about-life-planning/


"To help clients discover the deeper values in their lives, Kinder poses three questions:
  1. Imagine you are financially secure, that you have enough money to take care of your needs, now and in the future. How would you live your life? Would you change anything? Let yourself go. Don’t hold back on your dreams. Describe a life that is complete and richly yours.
  2. Now imagine that you visit your doctor, who tells you that you have only 5-10 years to live. You won’t ever feel sick, but you will have no notice of the moment of your death. What will you do in the time you have remaining? Will you change your life and how will you do it? (Note that this question does not assume unlimited funds.)
  3. Finally, imagine that your doctor shocks you with the news that you only have 24 hours to live. Notice what feelings arise as you confront your very real mortality. Ask yourself: What did you miss? Who did you not get to be? What did you not get to do?"



Well, there we were at the Wagon Wheel enjoying our burger and salad while my parents watched the girls. I was surprised by our answers....


The first question with unlimited time and money was fun. Neither of us would work regular jobs. Rob would start some company based on food or bikes and work half time. He'd go to the gym more.

He quoted Johnny Cash's song "Oh bury me not", saying, "I'd be no slave to whistle, clock or bell" He would to support enterprise, cool business opportunities and "have money to lose"

We both wanted to garden and have enough time time and money to travel a couple times a year and we both wanted to be around the house, picking the kids up from school.

I'd like to write, take walks, and, secretly I'd like to become a wizard (whatever that might mean) I'd do yoga and I'd probably be a doula or a hospice volunteer or both. I'd get better on the violin and sing songs. I'd have chickens, goats and dogs running around a bigger yard and house that we designed. I'd meditate 30 minutes a day and be home in the evenings. Ahhhh


The second question was trickier

Rob wanted to work less and have me carry the insurance. He wanted to pick the kids up from school; but pretty much maintain the life we've got.

I wanted to have a family trip to Europe and one to a warm Spanish speaking country. I wanted to be caught up on my photo albums; clean up my mess and backlog (this really shocked me, but I wanted to leave the girls a clear history, including pulling together all of the really old family history stuff I've got in my bedroom closet!)

I wanted to decrease chatter and rushing, become frugal with time and money - spending the bulk of my waning time with family, animals and nature. I wanted to work less.


Third question

Rob would stay with the family those 24 hours. He had no regrets other than missing out on the stuff that would go on without him.

I felt sad, like I wished I'd done more singing, music playing, painting and meditating..and of course that I had more time with family.


I felt strangely cleared and peaceful after, even though we were running back home and I was rushing off to work. I felt clean, like I'd had a good cry. It was such a relief to realize I have everything I want, that it's simple and close by. Suddenly being frugal seemed peaceful and appealing. Playing boardgames in the evening with my family - my beautiful family - seemed like a huge gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment