Sunday, January 24, 2010

Shower clock

I re-read this Martha Beck article the other day and decided much of my lateness issue has to do with transitions. She has some practical suggestions for moving things along. I decided to get a clock for the shower and learn how to set my watch alarm so I can stay on track.
http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Dealing-With-Transition-Anxiety-Martha-Beck/1

I am really excited.

My fixed watch and my shower clock came in the mail today! I have been suffering as I waited for both of them to arrive.

I completely lose track of time in the shower. Because I am free from nagging and whining, enjoying the dizzyingly warm cocoon of no-responsibility; it can go on forever. Then, suddenly, it is way too late! I have to rush out! It is cold! Moisturizer and deodorant become too time consuming to apply. Lily is late for school and I am frazzled, rushing and trying not to yell, "Hurry Up!!" because I know I just took a 25 minute shower.

Every time something has been "off" this last week: somebody's got a cold, I can't find my wallet, babysitting falls through. I tell Rob, "It will all be different when my shower clock gets here." It makes him laugh. I asked him to buy one for me at Home Depot and he was too embarrassed, like I was asking him to buy me cloth menstrual pads or something.
Here's the link in case you want one, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Ripple-Water-Conservation-Products-Digital/dp/B001MLZZ74/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1265073468&sr=8-9


Also can't wait to sit down with the huge piece of gray tissue paper, that are the directions for my digital watch, so I can figure how to beep annoyingly when I need to go somewhere. I also want to chime every hour to remind me to take a deep breath. Very excited to become one of those annoying timer-people who make noises every hour.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment