Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Night before night before Christmas



I actually practiced the violin today with Lily. With Georgia still at school it was much more focused and serene than yesterday. It gave me the same peaceful deep quiet meditative feeling that meditating and writing do. I even tried to sing "Go tell Aunt Rody" while I played it which involved so much physical concentration I actually thought I might start drooling, which was a pleasant feeling for me. I am very excited.
The next few days will be busy with family and festivities but I am going to try to stick to practicing. What I don't want to do is bring the violin back on March 22nd, "the equinox" as the nice violin man noted. I have all this winter to actually start playing an instrument. I don't want to push it aside (like the piano I was so thrilled to have rolled into my house two years ago. The piano I plagued craigslist for and made my husband push into the house from a modified horse trailer) Uggh, there is a long history of not following through, but then, blessedly, an equally long history of trying again.
About 5 years ago an older neighbor was talking about having the fiddlers over in the afternoon. They would make themselves at home jamming in the big room overlooking the field we all stood in. Her husband sighed, saying, "They never leave and they eat all my food." But I was twistingly jealous; my first question, "How long have you played?"
I think, wondering, 'Is it too late for me?'
Miraculously she said, "Oh only a few years. I didn't start until I was 42, but I'm coming along and I love it."
My puzzling response was to immediately think, "Oh good I have 10 years before I have to start." I don't know why it wouldn't be to start right up. To maybe get invited to her ho-down in several years.
So after almost two months of meditating every day for 15 minutes I am feeling more like I am ready to do the things I've been wanting to do. there's no need to wait until there's more time or I have a big house with a view. I'm starting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment