Friday, June 14, 2013

Beaver wetlands

I've been taking Cookie on a walk in the morning down to the wetland area near where I live.  We call it the beaver walk because when we first moved here 8 years ago there was a family of beaver who lived there.  I haven't seen them in a while, but the name stuck.

It is so beautiful this time of year, before bugs and weeds are plentiful.

The birds love it there and in a quick walk I saw a kingfisher, a heron, red winged blackbirds.  I heard a song sparrow and a common yellowthroat.

I never got down here last year, with my back in such bad shape, so it is really wonderful to be able to walk down here without dreading the climb back up to the car.

Today, I sat down on some dry pine needles by the water's edge and Cookie watched the squirrels run between the trees.  There was a noise and I looked up to see two gorgeous large female does.  One spotted us nervously and lept away, but the other seemed perplexed by us, she moved her head from side to side (which deer do because they lack a UV filter in their eyes which gives them less detailed vision) (at least that's what this guy said http://www.northcountrywhitetails.com/articles/whatdodeersee.htm) and she stepped closer.  It was a sweet and magnificent feeling to sit there and look at her while she looked at us; stepping closer on her delicate hooves.  Several minutes went by and I was amazed Cookie didn't have a fit, but she seemed confused and curious, too.  I breathed and let myself take in her large eyes and tall frame, her large wet nose. Then a squirrel jumped and she turned and fled, flashing her white tail.

It changes the woods to know that they're in there, walking quietly through the brush and sleeping in grass nests at night.
The Jack-in-the-Pulpits are everywhere this year.
This is a particularly nice specimen.
They apparently smell of fungus and attract fungus gnats who are duped into pollinating the flower with no reward for themselves. 
http://www.nybg.org/plant-talk/2013/06/science/jack-in-the-pulpit-pollination-by-deception/

They are Georgia's favorite wildflower this spring and I love the brown stripes inside the flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment