Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Morris Dancers

took over Brattleboro on Saturday. They were everywhere.
The girls and I were transfixed.
The above group was mostly teenageish looking girls who could bound really high.
I was watching the older women play the drums and tin whistle at the same time. Impressive.
It is a dream of mine to play the tin whistle. It is so magical and lively and so transportable!
(I dug mine out of the toy box when I got home with high hopes of tin whistling this summer.)
I was moved by the young women having fun, but also performing a sacred important ritual of waking up the earth in the spring with their bells and sticks. For many years I had only seen men doing the dances.

I mentioned this to Rob, who was deeply bored, as you can see, and he said in false ernestness, "Yes, I've always thought it was something only a man could do."
Twit.
We went to leave and our girls protested so we stayed for one more round.

No comments:

Post a Comment