Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring Walk

A quick walk in the woods before Lily's bus screeched to a stop.

Bloodroot growing in the neighbor's yard! This has many medicinal and magical purposes, but is endangered and can be toxic so I'll just admire it. The root has a red sap that has been used to paint and dye bodies and fiber. The leaves are beautiful and wrap around the flower as it emerges.


















Fiddle-heads looking a little hairy and alien.


















A young horsetail emerging fresh, pointy and bright green.

I miss having Azalea to walk in the woods, she was a good companion and she motivated me to get outside.

I feel like I stayed inside most of the winter, the wood stove was so tempting and cozy it was hard to leave the house.

I'm hoping to be outside more now that it's warmer and the stove is done for the year. I've been walking with a friend 6-7am two mornings a week and that is lovely. The birds are singing like mad then and the sun rises earlier every morning.

Here's to spring and to green things shooting up and out!
And to sweet clear brooks that babble. (press play!)

No comments:

Post a Comment