Sunday, September 5, 2010

Camping over Labor Day Weekend

We went camping at Barton Cove this past weekend. I had been promising the girls a campground experience all summer and we had a couple successful backyard nights out.

Rob had no desire to camp and he had to work this weekend so I went with a friend and her two kids. It was wonderful! The kids got along really well and we felt adventurous and safe at the same time.

Rob came and did some fishing and s;more the first night and then went home to bed with his c-pap machine. The girls passed out and I thought, "Oh hooray I can read my book and listen to the sounds of the river and maybe hear an owl or somethi..........snore"

We all woke up at 7:30 (much later than the mothers predicted!)

With 43 daddy long legs lying above us on the outside of the test. I thought Georgia would be appalled, but she wasn't. We tried to imagine how they all knew to meet up there; very mysterious.

then breakfast at the Wagon Wheel and a canoe rental with all six of us paddling around in one canoe for 2 hours!

We saw 3 immature bald eagles, (sort of ruffled, big and goofy)

and one regal looking parent bald eagle

Lily pads, fish, swans and wavering underwater cities of tall green plants.

Georgia didn't like it, the tipping and the sitting still combined to make it unpleasant for her, but the rest of us had a wonderful time.

Then we ran home and spent the rest of the day with my parents, saw Rob for a quick moment and went back to the beckoning camp site. We had initially only planned on one night, but because it was a holiday weekend, their policy was that we had to book at least 2 nights.

We did some more (unsuccessful) fishing with wriggling worms as bait.

The sun set glamorously while we fished off an empty tour boat and then we went back for more campfire and dinner.

My friend had brought tons of food and supplies I hadn't thought of - including the making of s'mores with peanut butter cups and the traditional chocolate bars.

Nice time.

Slept through the night again.

Fewer Daddy long legs the second morning , only about 10. Why?

Went home to a visit with my sister and her husband and the official closing party of the creamie.

SO tired that night, passed out in nice firm bed with roof above.

No comments:

Post a Comment