Thursday, March 18, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!











We went to a local restaurant Hope and Olive to see our fiddle teacher Lissa Schneckenburger http://www.lissafiddle.com/ play Celtic tunes. We were also celebrating great report cards and teacher meetings for both the girls. We're trying to make the report card experience fun and encouraging so we have been taking the girls out to dinner on report card day, which happened to be today.

The mac and cheese was too fancy for Georgia and she didn't like her first Shirley Temple, but Lily enjoyed the food and had a blast seeing her teacher play the fiddle.

We met up with some friends and who didn't bring kids. I had my first Earl Grey Martini, which was tasty and made me tipsy. I was starting to enjoy some conversation.
Then, somehow, I spent the next 30-40 minutes back and forth to the bathroom with Georgia who decided she needed to poop and that I had to hold the door for her.
Bored and lonely in the bathroom, pining for the adult company I had gone to lengths to invite and also aware that I was wasting a rare buzz, I tried to drown my sorrows by singing Wagoner's Lad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vuf25juzyI which is what always comes to me when spontaneously singing. The acoustics were gorgeous in the bathroom and no one entered during my whole song, with both verses. When I finished, ready for applause (again, I was slightly drunk off 1/3 of a strong martini) Georgia responded with frustration through clenched teeth, "Mama! I can't poop when you sing. Stop singing!"

By the time we made it back to the table, we were ready for dessert and several different conversation threads had come and gone. I realized why I don't make a habit of taking my children out to a nice restaurant and also why I don't drink when they are around. It's not fun to be tipsy when you're kids are there, looking a bit suspicious and not laughing at your jokes.

Once I got settled, Lily had to go to the bathroom. I took another swig of my martini and headed back to the familiar stalls.


No comments:

Post a Comment